Top 15 Things Every Child Should Know Before Entering Kindergarten
from Enumclaw School District print-out.
- Be able to state first and last name when asked.
- Be able to write first name with first letter upper case and remaining letters lower case.
- Use appropriate three-finger grasp when using writing instruments (pencils, crayons, and scissors).
- Count to at least thirty and tell what number comes before or after a given number to 20.
- Know all letters in first name.
- Identify basic geometric shapes (triangle, circle, square, rectangle, oval, rhombus (diamond), and heart.
- Know basic colors (red, blue, green yellow, orange, black, white, brown, and pink).
- Identify numbers 1-10 in random order.
- Make most letter/sound matches.
- Identify most upper and lower case letters.
- Use finger to accurately touch count items to 10.
- Knows concept of print (front and back of books, which page comes first, track words left to right).
- Be able to rhyme words.
- Retells simple stories in sequence.
- When given a word ("man") and a beginning sound ("f"), creates the familiar word ("fan").
Another few things your kids should know are your phone number and address!