Thursday, April 12, 2012

How To: Style Curly Hair



BREE'S HAIR

THICK, THICK, THICK!
VERY CURLY...ALMOST SPIRALS
AND CRAZY FRIZZY IF I LET IT
DID I MENTION ITS SUPER THICK!!

Products:
Lotion, Garnier Fructis Styling Products, Flat Iron and Blow Dryer WITH diffuser!


Garnier Fructis Style Products
From Left to right: Curl Sculpting Cream-Gel, Curl Shaping Spray Gel
I will also use lotion, doesn't matter what kind but I like to use baby lotion...cause we already have it around. Right now I'm in love with there honey apple one.
I start with my hair wet! Best to do it almost right out of the shower...once it starts to dry the frizz already begins! I do not brush it with a comb.

To start I put about a quarter size amount of the Curl Sculpting Cream-Gel into my hand, rub my hands together and flip my head upside down. I then make sure to get this product everywhere using scrunching movements with my hands.
Repeat the same amount and motions with the Curl Shaping Gel. I only use the spray portion of this when I need to "fix up" or make my dry hair decent again. I normally twist the top off and pour/squeeze out a quarter size portion. Repeat head upside down and scrunching motion. Make sure to do this everywhere...on the sides, front and back of your hair as well as deep down towards the roots in the middle.
While remnants of product is still on my hands I flip my head up right and use my fingers like a brush and brush out my knots. The Cream-Gel acts like a conditioner and makes this task actually very easy.

Then (this may be very odd and who knows how "great" it is for my hair but it is THE only try thing I have found to fix "frizz"...it works...i do it, LOL) I pump out about a quarter size amount of lotion. Rub together in hands and while my head is up right scrunch into my hair. I do this mostly where I know my hair will frizz.
I add some hair spray BEFORE I blow dry. Not alot just a tiny bit where i know my hair frizzes (usually on the sides and back about ear level) I do this while lifting the hair to get spray under each layer.

Now comes the hair dryer WITH the diffuser. I again flip my head upside down and move hair dryer up and down, not quickly....take your time. Move the hair dryer in an up and down motion so the diffuser is grabbing some hair in the down position and when you move it upwards towards scalp it almost cradles the hair. A diffuser helps with frizz control and helps keep your curls together. You want your curls to stay grouped together because if they are all separate curls you will find yourself with an afro. My curls "usually" group together to be about the same thickness as a large strand of yarn.

Once its just dry...DO NOT over dry, I style. I personally part off center so my part is on my left side.
I then have side bangs. I like to straighten mine. To accomplish this without it being too much of a curl I use a flat iron. To start I just make multiple passes flattening the curly bangs. I do this WHILE pulling to the side. This is so they straighten while going to the side. Once it is straight you don't want to try and fix it too much.
Then once straight I make some more passes with the flat iron but angle it at a 90 degree angle to add alittle bit of a curl to bangs. I do this while still pulling to the side.
Now for the final look. If I need to (may be alittle frizzy) I add a small amount of lotion to my hands and pat hair down towards scalp. Like pushing it in towards my head. This also helps if you have too much volume.

To finish off I hair spray my side bangs, in the direction they are styled. Then spray alittle all over. I use Garnier Fructis Anti Humidity Hair Spray. Love this hair spray because if there is alot of moisture in the air this hair spray really truly helps!!


Finished product!
The one most important thing about having curly hair, no matter what style, type or thickness. You NEED TO HAVE IT CUT CORRECTLY! Usually needs to be layered so it doesn't create the Tree effect where it is frizzy and poofing at the bottom and not at the top. Looks like a triangle shape or a tree.Get it cut by someone that really KNOWS what they are doing!!! This is THE most important thing! I am 26 and in my life time I have only found 2 people that know how to cut it. Thank you so much Miss Heidi!!!Beware people say they know how but they wont always! The best clue is if they have your same hair. My new stylist was upfront and told me she knew how to cut it but not how to style it. Didn't matter...the cut was AMAZING!!!

JESSI'S HAIR
THIN, THIN, THIN!
VERY CURLY...ALMOST SPIRALS
AND CRAZY FRIZZY IF I LET IT
DID I MENTION ITS SUPER THIN!!

Products:
Dove Hair Therapy Style and Care, John Frieda Frizz-Ease and Suave Kids Detangling Spray
Suave Kids Detangling Spray
I also use Suave Professionals Keratin Infusion, Smoothing Shampoo and Conditioner
John Frieda Frizz-Ease, Daily Nourishment Leave-in Conditioning Spray

Dove Hair Therapy, Style and Care, Nourishing Curls, Whipped Cream Mousse


I start with damp hair. If I didn't get to do my hair right away and it starts to dry I can add detangling spray to help "wet" it again.
If its really tangly I use my daughters Suave Kids Detangling Spray, LOL, to help remove tangles and brushing easier.
I spray it thoroughly with frizz ease stuff and run a stiff brush through it to get out the tangles. Then I spray it some more.
With Dove Mouse for Curly Hair I add a good size amount into my hands. It comes out more like whipping cream. Spread between my hands, this makes it even more "foamy".
Then I flip my head upside down and apply mouse throughout hair. Making sure to get it all the way to roots in upward scrunching motions.
With the edge of a comb I use the center of my left eye to make a part and scrunch it with more mousse from Dove that’s for curly hair. 
Then I air dry and style with clips or ponytail. 
Final Product after it drys!I also use the spray to refresh my hair later or before going out. Once I’ve brushed it in the morning, I never touch it again with a brush until the next morning. I wash it twice a week but shower everyday.






Be patient with your curls~
Bree and Jessi
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please chat us up!!! We talk alot to each other but we are so simliar it's like talking to ourselves, lol. We use comment moderation to discourage creepy and hurtful comments towards our readers and ourselves.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Clubs are Cool

Vintage Revivals
Project Pinterest at the DIY Club

Sponsors

Photobucket